YVHC is passionate about developing coaches for the future and providing another avenue for our members to enjoy the game. We actively encourage our junior players to participate in our many different coaching opportunities across the club from:
- Assistant coaches
- Hook into Hockey (U10)
- Winter Season Coaches (U10 -U18)
- Indoor Season Coaches (U14 – U18)
- Summer Sixes ( Mixed ages 10 – 16)
- Hockey clinics at schools ( Grade 5 to Year 8)
In 2021 we will be introducing a coaching academy. Through the academy we will provide our junior coaches with a structured program conducted across the winter season, combining both practical and theoretical training on what is required to be a successful coach.
The program is aimed at players aged between 12 and 18 that have little to no coaching experience but have played hockey for more than 2 years. The program is structured to provide hands on experience in a supportive environment. The participants will perform the role of assistant coach and rotate across different teams and age groups gaining exposure and learning from our more experienced coaches.
Our participants will learn how to:
- Implement the YVHC Coaching Principles
- Run drills and training sessions
- Design and prepare training sessions
- Provide technical feedback to players
- Engage and build rapport with the players to create a fun and engaging environment
We also support our coaches with online resources, access to hockey training resources, planned training drills and training programs and support through buddies and mentors, support to gain coaching accreditation and exposure to our experienced and technically trained coaches.
If you are interested in becoming a junior coach, then please complete the Coaching Expression of Interest form at the bottom of this page and a representative from the Junior committee will make contact with you soon.
YVHC Coaching Philosophy
We believe people play and coach Hockey because they love the game and being part of a supportive team environment. Hockey at YVHC facilitates this enjoyment and encourages all members to share knowledge, improve and achieve their goals.
At YVHC we create a learning environment where all participants have a great experience by:
- Building strong, honest and respectful relationships across the group. All participants feel safe, supported, and encouraged to learn, make mistakes, and strive to be their best.
- Providing an appropriately challenging, flexible, and competitive environment through an engaging, interactive approach.
- Providing planned activities with clear learning outcomes, communicating effectively, continually improving and sharing our knowledge and experience with all.